Welcome to the School of Foreign Languages at the Pyongyang University of Science and Technology (PUST). As part of the first international university in the DPRK, we seek to raise a generation of young scientists and researchers who are equipped with the language skills necessary to access and be involved in cutting-edge scientific research and technology in the international scientific community.
Since the language of education at PUST is English, all freshmen (first-year) students take intensive English classes to prepare them for participation in their major classes. Chinese is taught as a second foreign language during the junior (third) year of the undergraduate program, and this may be supplemented by Japanese and/or German in the future. German is currently taught to graduate students in the Division of Medical Sciences, as well as English.
School of Foreign Languages Courses
The first-year intensive English program includes the following courses:
- academic listening
- study skills
Additional English courses:
- IELTS preparation
- integrated English (for DPRK professors)
- research writing (for fourth-year students)
- medical English (for graduate students in the Division of Medical Sciences)
- introductory German (an integrated course)
- introductory Chinese (an integrated course)
- intermediate Chinese (an integrated course)